Home

Source: News of Rwanda

A rebel group of The Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda said that they will not surrender even when the deadline to disarm and peacefully repatriate is only a few months away.

The deadline will expire at the end of January next year 2015.

In a recent letter addressed to President Mugabe, the rebels stated the current peace process is compromised and they no longer trust the UN forces operating in the Congo- Monusco, the Kigali government and that of DR Congo; but the FDLR leadership was not clear on how the agreement was compromised

Rwanda has repeatedly warned that the presence of armed FDLR militia in the Congo compromises the peace and security progress in Rwanda and the region at large.

The second mini-summit of Heads of State and Government, the ‘International Conference of the Great Lakes Region’ (ICGLR); held in Angola capital Luanda on august 14,2014, gave the rebels a window for voluntary disarmament before military action can be considered.

Rwanda’s Foreign Affairs Minister Louise Mushikiwabo has previously said that action against Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) militia is long overdue and extending the surrender deadline would be a delay.

Head of Monusco, Martin Kobler, earlier this week said that the UN force is ready to take action, but has to respect the ICGLR resolutions

The rebels are accused of committing atrocities in the 1994 genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s