Source: Relief Web
Clashes resumed Tuesday night in Batangafo in northern Central African Republic, between French soldiers and former rebel Seleka fighters, a French military source said Wednesday.
After initial clashes Monday between Sangaris and former rebels, “calm had returned to Batangafo” (about 300 km north of Bangui).
French military sources state that when the former Seleka rebels were asked to disarm they refused and started firing at them.
“There was heavy fighting on Tuesday in the afternoon with heavy and light weapons. Helicopter air support” a military spokeswoman said.
Relative calm returned Wednesday afternoon, although sporadic gunfire was heard in the city, now under the control of French soldiers.
No casualties had been reported French side, but an unknown number of former Seleka were killed.
Last week, the town of Batangafo had already been the scene of violent clashes between former Seleka and anti-Balaka predominantly Christian militiamen, killing at least 25 people, including two soldiers whose deaths were not confirmed from official sources.