The National Intelligence and Security Service (NISS) arrested four of the displaced people who were injured in Wednesday’s attack on Ronga Tas camp in Central Darfur’s Azum locality.
The security arrested them at the front gate of the hospital after they had been discharged and were accompanied by their families to go to their homes in Zalingei. The coordinator of the Central Darfur camps told Radio Dabanga that the NISS elements transferred the detainees to the premises of their apparatus. He said that the four detainees are: Haroun Abdul Jabar Hassan (31); El Sadig Abakar Mohamed (42); Mohamed Adam Ismail (49); and Ibrahim Mohamed Adam (30).
Two camp residents were killed and nine others were injured during the attack, by Radio Dabanga sources believed to be carried out by the former rebel Liberation and Justice Movement (LJM). The movement strongly denied any involvement.
Ronga Tas arrests
Camp sheikh Adam Hussein said the attack was because of the displaced and camp administrators had rejected “model villages” as suggested by the Doha Document for Peace in Darfur (DDPD) during a workshop. Ronga Tas has been shaken up by protests against the so-called model villages before. Two camp sheikhs were arrested on 3 March for fencing the camp to prevent the building of a model village.
Regarding the incidents at Ronga Tas, the Central Darfur camp coordinator strongly condemned the killing and wounding of unarmed displaced people. He accused the National Congress Party (NCP) regime, the Central Darfur Governor Jaafar Abdel Hakam Ishag, and the LJM led by Dr Tijani Sese. He also criticised the reluctance of the UN-Au Mission in Darfur (Unamid) from moving to rescue the displaced.